Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Everyone else is doing it...

From best to worst (in my humble opinion):


I love this dress on Marisa Tomei. I know, I might be the only one. It does, in fact, look like a set of paper napkins. And it's white, which was overdone this year. But...I just like it. It fits her well, and it's interesting to look at.

Well played, Viola Davis.

I've read a few critiques of Amy Adams' dress--particularly the bib/veil coming out of the center of her chest. But I really like the color (not white!), it fits her very well, and the stitching on the bodice is cool.

The only other white dress I liked. Yes, Taraji looks like a wedding cake. But a tasty wedding cake--and that is rare.

Okay, I confess. I like this dress. In fact, it would be higher up on the list if not for all the critics out there who are telling me I should hate it. What can I say? I'm a lemming. (Also, my crush on Kate Winslet may be interfering with my objectivity here).

Anne Hathaway's dress looks see-through. I don't think it is, but the juxtaposition of the white bands at the top and middle of her dress next to the slightly darker bodice makes it appear as if her skin color is shining through. Also, why is the lower band curved? It appears to be outlining a belly that she doesn't even have.

I think Freida's other sleeve got caught on the limo door as she was getting in, and she decided to go with it. I know people like this dress, and the color is fab. But the sleeve bugs me. Not only does it miss its counterpart, but it also looks like it belongs on Sophia Loren.

The dress is beautiful, but the color reminds me of cheerleaders on prom night. The horror!

The dress might be boring, but AJ is hot. Although she would be hotter if she ate a sandwich.

I do love Marion Cotillard, but she looks like a corpse bride. What's with the leg showing through? Is there a slit in the dress? Did they run out of material? And the top of the bodice looks like it's about 3 inches away from her skin. Was she hoping to stash an Oscar there?

Was there a wedding at the Oscars that we didn't see? (Why so many brides?)

SJP's breasts are coming close to falling out of her dress. Which would be okay, if they weren't smushed up against her armpits.

I love that Amanda Seyfried looks perpetually like her character in Mean Girls. Her dress is fug, but not even fug enough to escape being boring. I dislike the bow, but I dislike the almost-orange color more.

Tilda Swinton wouldn't be so far up the list, if not for the fact that this is the best outfit I've ever seen her wear. Props for coming close to normalcy, Tilda!

Jessica, take the napkin off and wash your hair. This is the Oscars!

Oooh, look! I can totally check my makeup in your dress!

This...feels almost too easy. Pass.

I think Heidi might have worn a design from one of the losing designers from this season's (yet unseen) project runway. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if this is the dress that got someone eliminated.

This dress makes Melissa Leo look simultaneously like an 80 year-old woman and a 12 year-old girl. Perhaps she is playing homage to Benjamin Button ("Pssst! Don't do it! It's not worth it!")


Meryl: "Oh, Sophia, you make me look so young!"
Sophia: "And you make me look well-dressed."
Meryl: "We both win!"

I have no words.

2 comments:

kim said...

and here i just thought Freida has a full arm tattoo. i was discussing SJP's dress with the PTA moms at the playground and they concluded that it appeared she was placing her boobs on a pedestal. not a good look.

Alison said...

Hm. I didn't even do this on my blog, but it seems that I have pretty much abandoned blogging as of late. And I have to say, over all, I was kind of ehhhh on the Oscar dresses. No one was blowing me out of the water.

I agree with you on Marisa Tomei. It's the best she's ever looked, really, and the dress is fucking amazing.

Amy Adams... I didn't like the skirt, but I thought the black piping was nice and the color was good for her. Her necklace was also overwhelming.

I was looking at the picture of Freida's dress and I agree that the dress should have come without the sleeve.

I must disagree with you about Anne Hathaway (poor fit, though the paillettes are lovely), Kate Winslet (though it kills me, because I love her), Marion Cotillard, Penelope Cruz, and Tilda Swinton. I thought Marion was totally crazy and wacky, which was fabulous, Penelope's dress was soooo beautiful whenever the camera got up close-- the detailing on that mofo was incredible, and it was vintage Balmain; as Rachel Zoe says, "I die!" Tilda looked stunning-- she finally wore makeup that didn't make her look dead, and I thought the gauzy softness of it was great. And I think I didn't like Anne Hathaway because lately she's started to bug me.