Thursday, June 25, 2009

Passed! Phew...

So, as you all know by now, I passed my dissertation defense. Yay! It was a roller-coaster day. An hour and a half before the defense, Alison & I found out that our car was not worth salvaging, because of the extreme amount of rust through the undercarriage of the car. We were completely overwhelmed and upset, so I went into the defense after crying through lunch. I felt like 1) if I failed, it wouldn't be the worst think that had happened that day and 2) even passing wouldn't make me feel better. Luckily, #2 was incorrect. I did feel much, much better. And my parents are helping us buy the car--we still have to pay the full amount, but our payments are going to them. While it's not the ideal situation to be in, it is better than the alternative. And now we have a cute and jaunty car that will fit in small city parking spaces. Yay.

We went to the beach last weekend, and now we are back in Philadelphia. I have a little under two months before I start my post-doc, and would like to accomplish some major revisions to several papers, including an R&R that has been sitting on my desk for four and a half months. So far, I have read half an article and completed only a fraction of even my non-work-related to do list. I am okay with this for now, but will not be happy if my lack of productivity carries into July.

No comments: