Monday, August 3, 2009

End of summer (?)

It feels like the end of the summer, anyway, despite the date. I am headed to ASA this week, in San Fran, and then I start my postdoc on August 17th. So this is the beginning of the end, folks.

I don't know whether I'm looking forward to starting the postdoc or not. On the one hand, I feel crappy when I'm not working, and there's been a lot of laziness this summer. It comes and goes. Last week, I got a ton of work done. This week, I'm pulling myself through the days. I'm hoping I'll be inspired by ASA. Something's gotta get me back in the game. On the other hand, I'm nervous about my position as a postdoc--not a student, not faculty. And I'll only by at Penn State for two years, so it's a weird transitory period. I just hope it will help me do okay when the job market rolls around again next year. In the mean time, I am enjoying my break from job searching this year. It is a relief!

Lastly, Alison has been in Oslo for the past week and a half. It's been lonely here in Philly, but I am excited that she was able to see Madonna--twice! Here's her re-cap.

No comments: