Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Early mornings, successful schools, and other news

I am sitting this morning at a Starbucks, after arriving at the high school to collect and distribute a few consent forms. Unfortunately, I was not able to get an interview in for 1st period, so I am "working" for the next hour or so while I wait for 2nd period to start. The problem with successful schools is that students don't want to miss class, and their teachers often don't let them out anyway. It's very frustrating. At least at the last school, teachers were happy to have one less student. Of course, absenteeism, lost consent forms, and an unwillingness to be recorded were issues in that school.

On top of this, my current schedule has me getting up at 5am so I can arrive at the high school at a little before 7am. And I cannot force myself to go to sleep before 11pm, hence the starbucks run.

In good news, Alison and I are getting tickets to Madonna's Philadelphia concert. Whooo! Last time, as some of you may remember, we paid for nosebleed tickets and were transferred to the front row (courtesy of Alison's friend/former student). This time we are getting free tickets and will likely sit at the sound booth. Since we can't afford even the nosebleed tickets this time around, that's pretty sweet.

In bad news, the only job I really care about at the moment (shh) has scheduled phone interviews, and I am not on the list. The upside of this is that I care a lot less about the job market now. But I am also super disappointed, even though I knew this was probably going to happen.

There's a table of teenagers near me. Skipping? No class 1st period? Hmmmm.

1 comment:

kim said...

most of the jobs i cared about have already scheduled and i'm not among the candidates - it feels really good to not care anymore!