Thursday, October 2, 2008

Diagramming sentences

This article brought me back to middle school:

http://www.slate.com/id/2201158/

I always loved diagramming sentences. They were challenging enough to make the work interesting, but also very straightforward. Much like algebra, my other favorite middle school subject.

My interviews are now up to 13, and I have two more scheduled today. I had four scheduled, but one girl didn't want to miss the homecoming court vote--yes, seriously--and the other couldn't get out of work early. But having 15 done by the end of the day isn't terrible. I would like to get more done so that I can go back to Philadelphia, but I realize that I am not as good of an interviewer by the third or fourth interview of the day.

So what is a bad interview? Interviewing used to be my worst methodological skill (in comparison to statistics & ethnographic fieldwork). But I have gotten better. Interviewing requires the willingness to ask questions that you think are irrelevant, to ask the same question over and over in different ways, and to ask questions that appear to be uncomfortable for the respondent. When I began interviewing a couple years ago for another project, I was not very good at coming up with probing questions in the midst of the interview or asking questions that I thought had already been answered. I've improved, mainly because I have found that 1) Interview subjects don't notice when you ask the same question for the third time, particularly when they are spaced out and not asked in the same way; 2) They are likely to give you a different answer to the same question; and 3) When in doubt, probe with "Why?", or "What do you mean by X?" My worst interviews are ones in which I am tired and just want to complete the interview, and thus fail to follow up on a topic. I try to remind myself that I will be angry later when I read the transcript and find nothing useful. Sometimes this works, sometimes not so much.

On another topic, remember that tonight is the VP debate! I am psyched. I love watching Palin nose-dive, and I am eagerly anticipating another wild ride. Also, Biden is adorable. I kind of love watching him make gaffes as well.

P.S. Apparently Palin decided to visit our neighborhood in Philly last week--she watched the presidential debate from the Irish bar that is three doors down from our apartment, and then had lunch at our favorite deli. What gives? Get out of Philly, Palin!

No comments: