Sunday, November 30, 2008

5 lbs heavier & happier

This year, Alison and I held Thanksgiving at our apartment. My parents drove here from Ohio, and we had a very nice dinner at home. It was a relief to not travel for the holiday, and we had a lot of fun cooking Thanksgiving dinner. After three days, we now have only enough leftovers for one more turkey-and-stuffing sandwich each (if you haven't tried this, you are missing out). In the last two weeks, we have consumed (with help), two rounds of stuffing, a huge turkey, two pies, butternut squash-mashed potatoes, a carrot dish, a green beans and mushroom dish, buttermilk rolls, and lots of alcohol. Yum. And we mostly fit through our front door.

We had two stuffings and two pies because we (well, I) felt the need to test our recipes out ahead of time, in case anything went wrong. They came out beautifully both times, though, so we just ate a lot of amazing food. The stuffing was composed of sourdough bread and italian sausage, along with the requisite vegetables. The pies were triple-cherry: completely homemade, crust included. Alison took a picture, which I will post here when I get it from her. We also found an amazing brochure from Williams-Sonoma with recipes that we used for the veggie dishes and a full checklist of tasks to complete in the two weeks preceding Thanksgiving.

So, all in all, a good time. I hope you all had a fabulous Thanksgiving as well. It is one of my favorite holidays, because I love food and cooking for others. :)

No comments: