Sunday, January 18, 2009

Countdown to Facebook

First of all, hello to the five of you who actually read this site. Sorry I stopped posting--I was out of town, visiting lovely Boston and Ann Arbor. Despite the cold, I enjoyed the weather in both cities, because I miss the snow. And there was no lack of snow at either location.

Second: No, I am not yet on Facebook. And yes, I have read this article on why I should join. I am even convinced of the utility of joining--more from the persuasive arguments of Jennie and Elana than from a Slate journalist, but the points are largely the same. So why am I not on yet? I initially declined joining facebook because of some qualms about privacy. These have largely been solved by the smart folks who run Facebook. But only recently (in the last month or so) have I become aware of these changes. And over this same month, I have found myself both busier and more susceptible to the lure of procrastination. As paper and post-doc application deadlines approach, I have become a more avid reader of the many political, sociological, and food-related blogs on my growing favorites list. Not to mention the NY Times, the Daily Beast, Huffington Post, and the New Republic. It's bad.

So here's the thing. I fully plan to join Facebook. And I hope that all of you (yes, the five of you) will deign to be my friend once I finally enter into the 21st century. However, I have told myself that I am not allowed to create another procrastination tool until I actually secure a job or (more likely) a post-doc for next year.

And yes, I know that I can log off of facebook and say no to the hours of procrastination it affords. But who am I kidding? I won't.

4 comments:

kim said...

I'll be your friend whenever you get around to joining FB. But you overlooked the best reason to join - you'll get frequent innane status updates along the lines of "Kim is eating lunch", "Kim is done eating lunch", and "Kim is working on a paper after lunch". Good stuff.

Atomic Pacharak said...

I'll be your friend on Facebook! Very glad that you had a good trip. :) (I'm sure you figured out that this is Amy -- it's already signed in as JJ's account, and I can't quite figure out how to change it)

Jess said...

Yay! I can't wait...hours of mindless procrastination and updates. Add that to the satisfaction of having a job, and joining Facebook will be lots of fun.

Alison said...

Do it anyway. I need more friends!